At Wellington Combined Taxis our staff and drivers take safety seriously. Here are some tips to make sure you have a safe ride home, every time.
All taxis have cab numbers, which they have to display as part of NZTA rules. These cab numbers are like gold when trying to locate your jacket that you left in the car by mistake! The numbers are located on the front external doors, the front of the taxi (dashboard) and the outside back windscreen.Remember all cab companies have to display the cab number so note this as soon as entering the taxis.
All of our taxis are fitted with state of the art cameras. This makes the ride safer for you and safer for our drivers!
Choose your cab wisely.
5-Star Safety Ratings
It's simple: more stars equals safer cars. The 5-Star Safety Ratings measure the crash worthiness and rollover safety of vehicles. Five stars is the highest rating, read more on this rating here.
Every six months our taxis have to go for a COF. The CoF inspection is a general safety check, similar to that of a WoF.
Approved testing station inspectors check the aspects set out in our vehicle inspection requirements manual (VIRM) including:
- tyre condition (including tread depth) (PDF, 449 KB, 20 pages).
- brake condition and operation
- structural condition (rust is not allowed in certain areas)
- towing connection condition and certification
- load restraints such as load anchorages, log bolsters, or curtain systems for condition and applicable certification
- certificate of loading (display and validity)
- transport service licence number (if required)
- lights (are all bulbs working? do lights comply?)
- glazing (is your windscreen safe?)
- windscreen washers and wipers
- doors (do they open and close safely?)
- safety belts (must not be faded or damaged; buckles must work properly)
- airbags (if fitted)
- speedometer (must be working)
- steering and suspension (must be safe and secure)
- exhaust (there must be no leaks and the exhaust must not be smoky or louder than the original exhaust system)
- fuel system (there must be no leaks).
We monitor this internally to make sure all of our drivers are up to date with their COFs! This means you can feel safe about being in one of our taxis.
If you need us to help...
We have the most up to date GPS system: we know where all of our taxis are at all the time. This means we can locate and contact any cab, anywhere and anytime.All of our drivers have emergency safety buttons, which go directly to our call centre. Speak up if you see or feel there is a reason to use this.
We also record our phone calls - if you have an issue you’d like us to investigate, just let us know the phone number you called from, date and time.